In about 25 minutes from start to finish (prep included) you can serve up a delicious side dish of Mushroom Rice And Roni to accompany most any protein. Have I told you how much I miss cooking for more than just my husband and me? It's difficult to cut back when you are so geared toward cooking for a family and suddenly so it seems, your kids are all grown up and living lives of their own. When my kids were here and both of us held down full-time jobs, getting dinner on the table every night in a reasonable amount of time was often quite the ordeal. So way back when the boxed variety of rice and roni was a great help to me in the kitchen. Who can resist something that's ready in 15 minutes, right? But these days, I am older and have to be careful of my sodium intake, so I've had to say goodbye to the boxed variety. Read more »
Mom's Pattaconk Chili ~ a blend of beef, tomatoes and spices that tastes so good you'll want a second bowl. What seems like a life time ago, my mother and step father owned a small tavern in the small town of Chester, Connecticut. Some of my readers may recall me mentioning that a time or two here at Cooking On A Budget. The tavern was then called The Pattaconk Inn and now is re-named to The Pattaconk 1850 Bar and Grille. My mother's role in the business was chief cook and bottle washer as well as record keeper. Local folks came to love my mother's hot daily specials and certainly loved it when she made her chili recipe. Read more »
With the flavors of Thanksgiving, this budget recipe is a great replacement for the big Thanksgiving turkey dinner. I haven't blogged in a very long time and am so excited to share this wonderful recipe, Thanksgiving Chicken with you! Family pack chicken thighs (bone-in) 3-4 carrots, sliced into bite sized pieces 2 large celery stalks, medium dice 1 cup onion, small dice 1 - 32 oz. box chicken broth 5-6 medium sized red potatoes - cut into small bite sized pieces 1 pkg. fresh sage, minced (be sure it's full of good sized leaves) 1 1/2 cups (dry measure) corn kernels 2 tbsp. olive oil (regular), canola or vegetable oil 1 tbsp. butter 2/3 cup all purpose flour salt and black pepper to taste granulated garlic to taste onion powder to taste gravy master or kitchen bouquet - just a few drops Before I get into the how to make part of the recipe I want to speak about how it originated. With two prev...
Comments
Post a Comment